Sunday 7 October 2012

7th October 2012

So after one nation red Ed in Manchester, the blue meanies are about to have their conference in Birmingham.

Of course they're hopeless.

Booze ups and breweries come to mind.

The latest fiasco of course is the West Coast Rail Franchise.

Of course Branson is laughing his socks off, Sir Richard of course .........

He of the virgin business, business ......

Wish I had never bought Tubular Bells, but there you are, just didn't believe that buying a record would mean that 40 years later he would be treating my diabetes or selling me a ticket for when I travel to Edinburgh tomorrow ............ Just goes to show, never underestimate someone called Richard, even if his friends call him Dicky, he will still be tricky .........

The news, apparently, is that half of us make no contribution to the national purse.

Well I certainly don't, as a pensioner I am now a net incomer, the bulk of my income coming from the exchequer, I pay tax on it, of course, but between us, the indoor critic and I, take more out than we put in.

But, think tanks, and Tory think tanks at that, to one side, take more out of what than what?

The thing is that the national product in financial terms is huge, billions huge, but take away the profits lodged offshore, the tax dodging billionaires, the bankers and the footballers with rather large back pockets and my, relatively small monthly income, offset I might say, against the saving I represent to the exchequer in my role as a carer and?

Well there you have it, I represent good value for money.

I worked for over forty years, started when I was 15, paid tax from day one, so in terms of the social economy, I paid in and now the pension is worth what it is worth, so thank you Mr (nay Lord) Beveridge!

The latest news that 50% of the population takes out more than it puts in, is OK if you reckon without the overall economic performance of the economy as a whole.

Britain is a rich western nation, with an output from manufacturing, financial services and pension funds, far in excess of the income/expenditure equation of the working versus the not working (i.e. pensioners and beneficiaries) so to argue as Mitt Romney did in the USA, that 47% of the population would vote Democrat because they rely on the state is actually wrong.

The issue here is that wealth is inappropriately and unfairly distributed.

There is no longer work for everyone because work has changed.

Technology, robotics, intelligence means that there is, as the Bible has it, no longer, holes to dig or vines to tend.

So inevitably, there will be folk who have no place in the economic scheme of things, but they still need to spend, they still consume, they still have a role to play and a life to live.

This argument that 50% take out more than they put in is tempered by the 50% who for whatever reason fail to put in what they should, after all surely, the national income should benefit the nation?

The indoor critic hates the FT Weekend supplement, How to Spend It, I quite enjoy it, because it reminds me that there are folk who can spend £2000 on a shirt, or a jacket or a coat, who have more to spend on stuff than I have to live on for a year, there is money out there, being generated by the economy, so red Ed is for one nation, the Cameroons is another nation altogether, so lets see who's right, can we turn this round, boot out the blue meanies and elect a government that actually gives a toss, and share the national economy fairly and justly?

No comments:

Post a Comment