Friday 13 July 2012

13th July 2012


Apparently, when asked why he wanted to be Prime Minister, Mr. Cameron said, because he thought he would be good at it.

Self confidence is obviously built in at Eton.

The problem comes when you still believe and every one else realises that your self confidence was just a tad misplaced.

What a mess we are in.

I've never banked with any of the big banks, not on principle, but because in practise they've usually banked with me. They called it an overdraft I called it using Peter's money to pay Paul and staying well away from both of  them, until called in to discuss my situation.

This usually involved explaining that it was them who had a situation and explaining that it was just my way of ensuring that there would be genuine mourners at my funeral.

I've also seen this approach as my way of ensuring that the country would continue to enjoy economic development. After all if no-one consumed, then no-one would be selling and, if no-one was selling then no-one would be making the things that were being sold.

So buying luxuries such as food, alcohol and fuel, alongside books, records and nice stuff, i.e. a bit of retail therapy from time to time, using the plastic usury token (interesting how luxury and usury almost rhyme) meant that folk making stuff had a chance to sell it and generate profits to pay their workers wages so that in my view, was me performing a social good, a win win.

Some folk make stuff, some folk make money and society continues to make progress.

And I can take some satisfaction from doing my bit.

Then there is welfare, or farewell as the Tories call it.

It used to be known as a benefit. It meant that if you didn't or couldn't help make stuff, then you were still kept in the social mix by being given enough to get by and enjoy the occasional luxury.

You could, even if you couldn't be a producer for whatever reason, continue to be a consumer.

But that is soon to end as house work is replaced by the work house as the poor we have with us always, will be swept under the carpet or be kept running around the country on some mad, post-Olympic long distance jog-athon designed to help the obese amongst us lose weight and as an allegory for 'keeping the economy moving'.

But even so the bread of the Olympics and the Circus of the Jubilee has not been sufficient to hide from us the truth that the Government is not doing well at, well, governing.

U Turn after U Turn with the occasional foray into populist efforts to divert attention from the fact that the basics are simply not being got right.

The Liberals attempt to change the voting system, junked.

House of Lord's reform, ditched.

Europe, vetoed.

All to sounds of hurrahs from the Tories who now are demanding a General Election.

Bring it on! I suspect it will result not in a big society but a big upset.

This has been a great year for Shakespeare.

The best Shakespeare I have seen this year is Coriolanus as imagined by Ralph Fiennes who dealt with Shakespeare's theme of circuses being cancelled and bread rationed, by setting the play in Bosnia.

Shakespeare really is the man not just for all seasons but for all times.

Apparently most people have a favourite Shakespeare quote, they sometimes think that they thought of rather than remembered, it.

Well my favourite quote is from Macbeth: Vaunting ambition that o'erleaps itself and falls down on 'tother side.

Mr Cameron, I believe rides with his friend Ms Brookes, he might find that quote as useful as I have.

Barclay's need a new CEO, I might apply, I think I would be good at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment