Monday 16 January 2012

16th January 2012


Having seen the film War Horse with the family at the weekend I remembered this piece which I wrote for my Grandfather Frank Oswald Wilde who served as a farrier in 1914 - 18 until he was gassed and returned home.

1914

(i)

My name is Frank Oswald Wilde, farrier at Mossley Pit. 
Each day I made my way through early morning streets,
boots echoing the clatter of the girls clogs starting their shift at Medlock Mill. 
Then down the pit-shaft to the stables underground and the ponies. 
They’re tough, full of heart, they rub silky noses against my dirty, calloused hands
gently nuzzling with soft mouths for the treats I bring, an apple
or mints, it varies their diet, hay and chopped maize, hot water
to make a mash, keeps them fettled for their work, hard gruelling
work, they only see daylight once a year, at Wakes week
Rest of the time they drag heavy wagons along the rails
loaded with Coal and Slate that weigh heavier than they do
They could smell the damp, the gas that could kill or explode
sooner than any Canary, they would warn me, I would shout the others
The day of the call-up picture I asked if I could have a pony
Just to stand with him and show how he helped the miners
how we would win the war. The answer came back from above, No!
So I held two horseshoes, people should know the ponies work

(ii)

Now here I am in France. I’d heard the ponies were being drafted
I volunteered so now I’m here, getting the ponies ready to fight
for their country, here in this bloody, never ending, war, a farrier still.
They work twenty four hours a day, quiet as lambs, carrying
food, water and ammunition to the front, starved, sodden and spent. 
Little did I know, here above ground, they would still let me know
they smell the gas the Germans call dampf, the terror of the trenches
Like the Tommies these ponies die in their thousands, it makes
Me ask, which is worse, struggling on in the darkness of the pit
Or struggling here like this, blown apart and stitched together again? 
This terrible world they’ve entered frightens them and the poor bloody soldiers, 
conscripts mostly, like the ponies, the blasting at the coal face is nothing 
compared to the barrage of the constant Guns that drown us in the 
rattling death of the front and the choking of the damps

(iii)

When the gas came I wasn’t ready, the gas mask was a nuisance
It scared the ponies, first I knew they started to go down, front knees
first like they were in church starting to pray, then I knew, ‘the damps’
over they went, I got the mask on too late, so I joined them in prayer
Now I’m back home, my war is over, I’ll never go down the pit again,
the air's too poor underground, I cannot breathe. They say it will kill me


1 comment:

  1. Undeniably believe that which you said. Your favorite justification seemed to be on the web the simplest thing to be aware of. I say to you, I certainly get irked while people consider worries that they just don't know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top as well as defined out the whole thing without having side effect , people could take a signal. Will probably be back to get more. Thanks
    Alvord Polk 101-0 High-Speed Steel Hand Reamer, Straight Flute, Right-Hand Cut, Uncoated Finish, Size: 1/4 Inch

    ReplyDelete