Friday 13 January 2012

13th January 2012

I ordered a couple of items from a national store using the Internet.

Both items were available for collection from different branches of the store. I ordered and very efficiently emails arrived advising me of a collection date and time.

I then rang the nearest store and asked if it was possible for the second item, which they didn't have in stock to be delivered to them by the other store in order to save me the journey. I imagined that there would be lots of coming and going between the stores as they were only twenty or so miles apart.

No, I was told, it wasn't possible because the second store, in Penrith, was in the North West Region whilst my nearest store Carlisle, was in Scotland.

It makes sense. I suddenly realised, why my new Bathroom was recently delivered ..... from Scotland!

It's because we are in Scotland!

Of course it's a matter of logistics. Presumably the two retailers have distribution depots around the country and it is easier and makes most sense for Carlisle to be served from the Scottish depot.

I understand that.

But I wonder whether what makes sense logistically might also make sense politically?

In the big society of the United Kingdom does it make sense for the 'londoncentric' thinking of politicians to dominate life in these border regions?

The borders were and are debatable lands as the names of the Riever families carved into the footpath at Tullie House in Carlisle and the words on the Cursing Stone suggest there has been a long and at times fierce debate about who owns not just the land but also the cattle and the taxes and the wealth that the land produces.

The roads which snake across the border from Bewcastle to Newcastleton, even today are wild and remote and it is not always clear which country you are in until you finally arrive.

The economics of Scottish Independence will be debated, a lot hinges on who owns the oil and what share of the national debt Scotland inherits, and doubtless the political battle will be fiercely fought, already politicians are taking up their positions and issuing calls to arms.

But as part of that debate the issue of where the border is drawn will be raised, recently on the local news I saw a report from Berwick on Tweed and of course Carlisle itself has been the focus of territorial claims over the years which is why we have a huge castle parked on the 'English' side of the river.

So who knows but it will be interesting. The first skirmish has been the leaking of the First Minister's email to Sir Fred Goodwin. I am sure that we will all become familiar with the concept of due diligence as the debate ensues.

But friends who live in Scotland reassure me that there are distinct advantages to life north of the border so who knows, whether it's the high road or the low road, we might yet find ourselves in Scotland 'afore ye', without having stepped out of our front door ...................

No comments:

Post a Comment