Friday 8 July 2011

8th July 2011

I was a paper boy in Manchester from age twelve.

I delivered, amongst other papers, the News of the World, I always enjoyed a sneaky preview of the articles, almost as much as I enjoyed being shocked. Well I wanted to be shocked.

The Diana Dors story was a highpoint and the newsagent complained that I had been taking too long to deliver the Newspapers.

You haven't been reading the News of the World have you, he asked accusingly.

No! I replied, my red face revealing my guilt.

When I applied for the Civil Service Open Competition for promotion from Clerical Assistant to Clerical Officer my boss at the time advised that I bought The Times and read the Editorials with a view to more or less trying to emulate the style.

I did, I passed the exam and, because I had a student discount, continued to buy the paper and it became the habit of a lifetime.

First, I preferred the adverts on the front page, then I liked the broadsheet style, then I liked well, the crossword I guess, but I always read the editorials.

But no more.

I am sure that no-one will notice or pay any attention I am not after all the President of the Ford Motor Company whose advertising makes the difference between profit and loss in one of News International's titles.

But I don't think that it is an empty gesture.

Like so many people I have become increasingly concerned by the power and influence of News International. And when people act as though they are above the law well the law needs to wise up.

The links between News International and the con-dem coalition make me uneasy.

And now Mr Murdoch has acted like an old style mill owner in a D H Lawrence novel.

Trouble at t' Mill? Well shut it down and pour the Claret.

First it was Politicians and Duck Houses, Now its Newspapers and 'phone hacking.

The TV series The Wire shone a searching light on the great estates, a first series about the illegal drug trade and exploring the benefits of legalization was followed by a second revealing the corruption in the Dockers Unions, then corruption in City Government and amongst politicians was exposed, the school system was reviewed and finally the Newspapers became the subject of attention.

They say that truth mirrors fiction but what follows politicians and newspapers?

As the advertising for the Lottery says, It could be you .........

No comments:

Post a Comment