Saturday 18 May 2013

18th May 20

My Wellington's started to leak.

So this spring, already a washout, has become a two wellington year.

I bought my wellies in a store which sells animal food and pet supplies as well.

I stood in the queue waiting my turn, the person behind me had a bag of peanuts, presumably for feeding the birds in his garden, as my question was going to take a bit of time I let him go first.

The peanuts cost over £50, it was a very big bag, opening his wallet he peeled off three twenties and carried his nuts out to his car, when I came out he was loading the peanuts into the back of a Range Rover.

I was on my way to undertake a small task on behalf of the co-op, a cheque from the community fund for a multi-cultural festival in Carlisle.

Alongside this work of supererogation, the area committee is trying to undertake some work to support our local foodbank.

I couldn't help think as I passed the Range Rover, that we live in a world that is not only divided North from South, not only divided London from the rest of the UK, but divided within as well as without.

I have no personal animosity toward a person who wishes to feed the birds in his garden, none whatsoever, but I can't help wonder, not so much about individuals priorities, but about our priorities as a society.

What does it tell us about our society when some of our fellow citizens have to stand in line in the Salvation Army Citadel in order to receive food to feed their families, when others can spend more than the value of a bag of groceries on Bird Food?

My Wellington's cost a tad less than the bag of Bird Food so I have to review my own priorities as well, of course, that's the real point at issue with the coalitions policies, they are divisive.

But isn't it fascinating that the real cry of outraged of Oswestry or disgusted of Tunbridge Wells, or bemused of Birmingham, wondering of Wolverhampton is not the attacks on the poorest in our society, the condemnation of shirkers and the promotion of strivers but that all the Con-Dems can find to argue about is Europe and Gay Marriage.

This is a classic oranges and apples degree of philosophical confusion as the hapless Mr Hammond displayed on Question Time in his debate with the Gay Europhile MP Chris Bryant.

Having been privileged to some some time in both Italy and Spain over the past couple of years, it seems to me that the great European Project is an unqualified success, not quite peace in our time but certainly peace in Europe for sixty plus years, the open borders being the real sign of how successful the project has been, the Euro Zone problems are in effect a result of that success, but the quality of life, as enjoyed by so many ex pat, British Folk in the Costa's and elsewhere is the only sign you need, and the current issues arising from the goomazonbucksyah snook that has been cocked at our taxation rules, arises not because we are in Europe but because we are not in the Euro Zone, give a talented tax accountant and they quickly find and exploit any loop holes there may be, so if I had bought my wellies on Amazon I would have paid for them in Luxembourg.

And as for Gay Marriage, well hooray, why shouldn't any loving couple who wishes to commit themselves to one another in a lifelong and faithful relationship not be able to?

Well, let's put these issues to bed (sic!) once and for all.

Let the real debate begin. The debate about how a society cares for all its people, ensuring that there are minimum standards of living below which no-one should be allowed to fall, that there is a relationship between the incomes paid to the highest and the lowest earners in society and that firstly families have sufficient to eat and can afford to feed their families, that the birds also can remain well fed and their plumage stay glossy and that my feet remain dry when I am walking my dog across the muddy, wet, flooded paths in this, sadly becoming all too common, (with Global warming, unproven! says UKIP!), Cumbrian spring .........

No comments:

Post a Comment